The same horizon repeated at every moment of the walk
Full HD video | 00:02:05 | stereo | color | 2014
The project has been produced in a framework of the Artist-in-Residence program at Fundació AAVC Hangar in Barcelona, Spain, 2014.
Throughout the history there were lots of concepts of movement, from body language through various kinds of dance to floating above the ground like levitation. But, in fact, movement itself is a simple feature and the basic purpose of it is to get from one point to another. All the other concepts are just cultural and intellectual associations. Building on this simple principle, all we can do is to treat the body as the driving force for a simple starting point. Body can move it and thereby the point can be displaced to the other locations. In this case the point is a unique conveyor – it carries sound.
The video is based on the pitch phenomena, a perceptual property that allows the ordering of sounds on a frequency-related scale. Composition is made of four frames, in which the moving figure’s head determines the pitch on the scale of each frame, from higher to lower. This aleatoric quartet reveals a specific approach, where some primary elements of a composed work’s realization are left to the determination of its performer.
The project has been presented during exhibitions listed below:
- Exercises of listening, Fait Gallery, Brno (CZ), 2016
- Transmission Arts Festival, Athens (GR), 2016
- Wozownia Gallery, Toruń (PL), 2015
- ISEA2015 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, Vancouver (CA), 2015
- FILE 2015, Electronic Language International Festival, FIESP Cultural Center – Ruth Cardoso, Sao Paulo (BR), 2015
- European Media Art Festival, Osnabrück (DE), 2015
* contact the artist to access preview link